Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney
19958803

In Vermont how much time does a person have to file a

Customer Question

In Vermont how much time does a person have to file a sexual harassment suit from the date of the last incidence ? EEOC title vii says 6 months but I know in some states its 300 days .
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you referring to an EEOC complaint or just a general civil suit against the employer?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
don't think you can just file a civil suit it has to go through the eeoc first

Correct, that is what I wanted to clarify to make sure you are aware you have to exhaust your administrative complaint process before filing suit. If the EEOC has investigated and issued a "right to sue" letter finding probable cause that illegal discrimination has occurred then if it isn't resolved, you file a civil suit in federal court.

.

You must file with the Vermont Human Rights Commission (VHRC) or EEOC within 300 days of the date you believe you were discriminated against.

.

To file a claim with the VHRC, contact its office below. More information about filing a claim with the VHRC can be found at the VHRC website.

Vemont Human Rights Commission
14-16 Baldwin Street
Montpelier, VT###-##-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####

To file a claim with the EEOC, contact your local EEOC office. More information about filing a claim with the EEOC can be found at the EEOC Filing a Charge website.

.

.

thanks