Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

I applied for fulltime job on a large company in one city. I

Customer Question

I applied for fulltime job on a large company in one city. I had interview and still waiting to hear from them. At the meantime also I got a contract job for that company through consulting company in different city. If I got the full time job can the consulting company stop me. verbally one of the manager he said ok, but do I need to put it in writing? thanks
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a contract with the consulting company that says otherwise? What I mean is there any language in any contract that you would sign/have signed that would preclude you from taking another job inside the company?

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

A business can choose to hire or not hire you and it is up to their discretion, it is unlikely that the consulting problem with have an issue but there really is not an legal authority either way that will keep the consulting company from stopping you from getting the full time job. It is always best to get things put in writing to protect your interests but if you have the opportunity to take a full time job inside the company instead of contract work, it is unlikely that the consulting company will have an issue. To answer your question, legally the company can hire and fire you as they please (within reason) so getting permission in writing would only help and preserve your job.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated by the site.