Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have a question my Son works for walmart and he went

Customer Question

I have a question my Son works for walmart and he went shopping on his day off while there one of his co workers asked him to get a young lady number so he did but come to find out the girl was only 13 he didnt know her age so when he came to work the next day he was fired
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: new jersey
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: only that the mother was upset they asked for her number so she went and complained
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of this situation. Why was he terminated and what information can I provide for you in this regard, please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He was fire because he asked the young girl for her number the mother didn't like that so she reported the two of them so they fire him can he be fire for this
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The young lady was only 12

Thank you. I am sorry that he has been terminated. Unfortunately, NJ is what is called an "At Will" employment state. And so if he was not fired because of discrimination such as his race, religion, age, national origin or a disability, and if the company is in compliance with its own policy, there is nothing illegal about the termination.

If the company has a policy that he has violated, he can legally be terminated.

And so I suggest you look at this termination policy. If there are no processes in place for "warnings" or "appeals" and they have treated him the same in his termination as any other employee then there is no discrimination and the termination is legal.

If I've missed anything that you needed or you have other questions, please let me know here. Otherwise, a Positive rating ensures I get credit for my time.