Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My employer took away my salary and is now paying me hourly.

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** employer took away my salary and is now paying me hourly. I have to work 6 hours overtime to make up the difference. I am the manager of this establishment and this doesn't seem fair. He also took my salaried wage and reduced it by $2.50 an hour.....
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under FL law and the US Fair Labor Standards Act, your employment is at will unless you had a written contract to the contrary. This means the employer can legally change pay, with notice to the employee, or can make an employee hourly as opposed to salary. Those are all up to the employer's discretion. As long as your employer did not do this to you only based on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, they legally can reduce your pay or put you on hourly and that would be in compliance with the FL and US labor laws I am afraid.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Doesn't seem fair.....oh well
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The poor get poorer...
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, the at will employment laws are designed to protect employers, not employees and that is something that shocks many employees.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.