Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I have kind of an emergent situation: I have a huge deadline

Customer Question

I have kind of an emergent situation: I have a huge deadline today for discovery for my current case and I have not been able to reach my attorney since Thursday. I need advice on what to do and ideally to change council. The case is unpaid wages and whistleblower retaliation. I have a 7-page narrative on the case I can submit for review but I really need someone to help me manage today's deadline.
I have no idea what my rights are or what I can do and desperately need some help!
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, your deadline would be close of business on Monday, since the deadline date falls on a weekend or holiday. So if today is the date that the due date falls on, under computation of time rules the due date is Monday close of court business.
Failure to communicate with a client is a violation of the rules of professional conduct. If your attorney fails to meet the discovery deadline Monday or does not get an extension, then that too is not just a violation of the rules of professional conduct but also malpractice and they would be liable to you for any damages their conduct caused you.
As far as your discovery, you need to answer everything they are asking for, we cannot review a 7 page narrative though or complete the discovery for you, as that is going to be considered representation and the state laws forbid us from doing that and I am sure you understand.