Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

My employer today told me that they are giving me a

Customer Question

Hi My employer today told me that they are giving me a customary 2 week notice. My company was acquired about a year back & I was issued a letter stating that if I stay for 1 yr I'll get paid a retention bonus on Aug 31st. Now they are asking me to leave by Aug 12. Also they are saying that this is not on performance grounds. They can't fire me on performance grounds (I have been given CEO awards over last 2 years on performance and stellar ratings). Also as part of my salary structure is a large component of annual bonus paid at end of H1 and H2. My H1 bonus is due since I have been part of company from Jan to Jun 30. However if i leave by Aug 12 then they don't have to pay that either. Do I have any recourse in this situation? As part of severance they are offering to pay 8 weeks salary & health insurance continuation. However this is an order of magnitude lower than the retention and H1 bonus.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New jersey
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: this context should be a good start
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 4 months ago.

New Jersey is an at-will state. In other words, an employer can terminate you for any reason other than race, gender, disability, age or religion. The employer can terminate you as long as it is not based upon race, gender, disability, age or religion. I would highly consider the severance unless you believe you are being terminated based upon your race, gender, disability, age or religion.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.