Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I worked part time for a non profit for 18 months, and

Customer Question

I worked part time for a non profit for 18 months, and resigned on May 20th, 2016.
I was deemed disabled in Feb. 2009 for Major Depressive Disorder, Chronic and Severe.
I worked for the Executive Director, loved my job, and didn't want to leave. The two issues that I tried to remedy were: 1) Director consistently made remarks about the time it took me to accomplish tasks 'that should take a fraction of an hour', 'can't you be more efficient' etc. and 2) hired her daughter who was given projects that fell under my job description that affected the quality of the work product produced, and reduced the number of hours I could work from an average of 15 hours/week to 10/hours/week.
I had several oral and email conversations on these topics, to no avail. As the agency does not have a formal grievance policy, I requested (3 times) that a neutral 3rd party work with us to find a mutually agreeable solution.
It became clear that nothing would change, and my well being was not so well. Several co-workers were aware of the circumstances, and suggested moving on would be the best thing.
It wasn't all awful, and the smooth periods were great. Long, short leaving kicked off a nasty bout of depression that I'm working though but has slowed me down in the search for a new job. Working is better than any anti-depressant, and I'm struggling to update my resume and bolster my confidence.
Not sure if there are any remedies, and appreciate your feedback.
Cindy Patterson
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon Cindy,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Do you believe that you were discriminated against based on your disability?

2. How many employees worked for your employer at the time of your resignation?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Doug