LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30+ years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

I am employed in a hospital with union 1199, I need change a

Customer Question

I am employed in a hospital with union 1199, I need change a shift due to personal problems My supervisor says that I need to quit first and then be rehired again on different shift. I have years of work under the belt and benefits, I worried that they will not hire me but somebody else, union rep says not to quit. What should I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon Jerry,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You are correct to be skeptical of the suggestion given by your supervisor. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will be immediately hired back on a different shift and if you do quit to try this, you will not be eligible for unemployment and it is entirely possible that you will not be rehired. This is definitely something that you to not want get into. Stay where you are and work within the system to get your transfer. No one is ever obligated to quit just to apply for a shift transfer, and quite frankly, the suggestion sounds very suspect, and not in your best interests.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you have any word of advise?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good evening Jerry,

I think that I gave you words of advice----but I'll paraphrase. Don't quit. The risk is too great and work from within the system to get a transfer.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug