Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.

I was promised a job with a school district that I worked

Customer Question

I was promised a job with a school district that I worked with last year, and I have anticipated that new job all summer. I was released from my old position at the end of the year in order to apply for the new positions, three positions in fact. I have been in contact with one of the hiring ladies all summer, with positive feedback. Just today when it is time to prepare to return to work, she tells me that she has been instructed by other supervision to continue interviewing for this position that I was offered. I wasted a whole summer that I cod have looked for employment, waiting for a job that I was told I would have. Is there a anything that can be done about this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

The general rule: Legally, unless you received a commitment in writing which by its terms provided it would not be withdrawn, an employer is entitled to withdraw it. That said, you reasonably relied on their promise to your detriment and left a paying position. You can therefore on that basis seek to have them compensate or honor the commitment on basis of those actions, which would be an exception to the general rule. A lawyer letter to that effect would have more impact and may lead to settlement.

Kindly take a moment to click on a positive rating, thank you and have a wonderful week!

thank in advance, and if I may clarify anything, just reply back.