Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Can I still collect unemployment if I go to India? I am

Customer Question

Can I still collect unemployment if I go to India? I am wondering if there is any way they will even know. I am actually going there to follow up on career opportunities, but I don't want to get denied while I'm over there...
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
To qualify for unemployment you need to be AVAILABLE and looking for work and they claim that if you are out of the country you are not available and actively looking for work, you are out of the US. They also capture your IP address and can tell if you are filing from outside the state or the US, so you can get caught that way and you could also get caught if you allow someone else to file for you while you are out of the US. So, the state rules are unless you are leaving the state and can prove it is for a job opportunity to them, they will deny benefits.
If you are leaving to follow up on a job, you better have that proof because you can be made to present that proof to them if they catch that you are out of state.