Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

As public school teachers my husband and I did not pay into

Customer Question

As public school teachers my husband and I did not pay into or qualify for Social Security/Medicare. My husband after 4 years in the Navy and some odd jobs had more quarters than I did. We took early retirement; he went back to graduate school and thought he would find a job covered by Social Security after he got his PhD. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's Disease at aged 59. It never occurred to me to apply for a disability for him. We were covered by good health insurance through the Illinois Retired Teacher program and I didn't give Medicare a thought. He died over 5 years ago. I have just recently begun to wonder if I missed a chance to get him, and myself as his spouse on Medicare. The Illinois Teacher Retirement Insurance Program is still a good one but who knows about the future.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

If he has gotten SSI here he would have been able to sign up for medicare for himself and you as his spouse.It is one of those things that in hindsight might have been a good step to do.I am sorry for your loss of spouse and that you did not get to do this.It certainly would have given you double health care coverage.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

You should be able to enroll in medicare here as well.

Medicare

Information regarding what Medicare is and how it affects your group insurance coverage. If you are enrolled in TRIP and become eligible for Medicare, you must enroll in both Medicare Part A and Part B in order to receive the lower Medicare TRIP premium.

https://www.illinois.gov/cms/Employees/benefits/Teachers/Pages/default.aspx