Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

My secretary is currently earning $ 50,000.00 per year. our

Customer Question

my secretary is currently earning $ 50,000.00 per year. our office manages 120 tenants from maintenance to evictions she answers phone draws rental contracts serves three day notices to pay or quit. job is relatively easy since most of our properties are single family homes. she wants a raise im willing to give her a 6% increase she wants $500.00 per week more . my question is whats the going rate for this type of job and whats a reasonable raise? we are located in hacienda heights calif.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

In my experience, compensation for full-time secretarial positions in California ranges between $30,000-60,000 depending on experience, work-load and the demands of the job. A 6% raise is very generous, especially given that this employee is already at the upper end of the spectrum for secretary compensation. What she is asking for is a 12% raise, which is larger than a typical raise.

In deciding what to do, you need to assess how replaceable this employee is. How much do you trust her? Is she pleasant to work with? How long would it take to train a replacement? These things should influence whether or not to give the employee what she is requesting. Another option is to split the difference and offer a 9% raise.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.