Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I was just forced to resign from my job I've been at years

Customer Question

I was just forced to resign from my job I've been at for 6 years was on salary but had to work all the time because they never gave me any help. I recently had to go to ca because my mom had hip surgery and I took off two weeks to care for her I left on a sat and saw my job ad in craigslist on Sunday! I came back and they were acting weird and made me say I was resigning on 7/31/16 and I would have to train some new person. I did not want to train anyone after they wanted me to leave all of a sudden I manage a apt building a very old apt building that had many issues and after I left I saw on my job email on my phone they were getting quotes for asbestos abatement for my office and the 2 maintenance rooms not sure if that has any meaning and also in the state of shock I was in leaving I had $594.00 in the office safe and they won't give it back help!
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Your post raises multiple potential issues. First, if your employer has 50 or more employees within a 75 mile radius of where you work, you were likely entitled to take FMLA leave to care for your mother. It is illegal to fire an employee in retaliation for that employee taking time off under the FMLA. So, this is a potential claim.

If asbestos was in your office and you develop any sort of health issue as a result of it, you would have a claim for workers compensation benefits.

You are absolutely entitled to the return of your money. You can warn your employer that if they don't return it soon you will report it to the police as stolen. You can also sue your employer for the money in small claims court.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.