Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

There are changes in my organization and I been supporting

Customer Question

There are changes in my organization and I been supporting my Sr. Director and VP for a while. I started in Oncology Biostat for about 10 years and now the re-org of Administrative support. I am a Management Associate in this group and been there for long time. Is it legal for me to have been supported the VP now and same person with a break in between for about 7 years and now he just told me that he will be supported by a supervisor due to organization change? To me this is a demotion. Please advise.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, unless you have a written contract to the contrary, your employment is deemed to be at will and you have no legal rights in your employment assignment. The at will employee may be reassigned or have new duties added or duties removed or be promoted or demoted at the will of the employer as long as the actions are not based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee. So, unless they are doing this for one of those reasons only, I am afraid as an at will employee you would have no legal recourse except to do what the employer is asking you to do.