Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.

Does my new employer have the right to cancel the Nurse

Customer Question

Does my new employer have the right to cancel the Nurse Practitioner employment contract we signed in early June because the background check company just gave him a clean background check on me, but didn't verify my previous Nurse Practitioner employment? (They said my previous employer didn't respond). I have called my previous employer this am and asked them for a letter of verification of my previous employment. I haven't actually worked for this physician yet because my DEA number is ***** being transferred from my previous Indiana employer to my upcoming Illinois employer.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 3 months ago.

If you have a signed contract for a fixed term, and the contract does not contain a cancellation clause for such reason, employer cannot cancel, and would be in breach, and you could seek to hold employer liable either to reinstate or to pay for balance of the contract term.

Kindly rate the answer as excellent - tried to expedite for you.

Thanks in advance.