How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 56053
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had to sign a renewal employment contract which was

Customer Question

I had to sign a renewal employment contract which was radically different than the original. I did this because they claimed they could not continue to pay my salary. It is for an academic institution in Asia (LLC) and hence all rights and arbitrations apply for that country.The institution offers the same degrees as the home campus which is based the US and the US entity is also engaged in the hiring process. I would like to address my grievance directly to the US institution. I am a US citizen. What are my options? Thanks.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.

You are free to contest the agreement and terms. If you signed under duress, you may seek to set aside on that basis. Likewise, if there was mistake or misrepresentation. Practically, having a lawyer deal with them increases your chances of a settlement.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.

Please click on an excellent rating.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My key question was really if I can pursue my grievance with the US institution which is a state university instead of the Asian entity where I have "no rights". The degree conferred is from the US university.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.

Yes, as it is the entity you have an arrangement with and has taken responsibility to issue the degree, and cannot claim improper party. You can indeed do so. Kindly rate the answer as excellent.