MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.

I worked in a reastaurant plus years,the owner got remarried

Customer Question

I worked in a reastaurant for 20 plus years,the owner got remarried in 2009,the new wife has been taking a percentage of my tips,i was out of work since last November with cancer surgery and chemo,went back to work 2 weeks ago, last weds I was told to get lost what are my rights?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You can potentially sue for wrongful termination/discrimination as well as wage compensation issues. What you should do is speak to an attorney licensed in NYC that specializes in employment law. Based off of the facts that you have provided, it seems that there is a high possibility that you have a strong cause of action against the restaurant.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.