Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

Not happy with part time telepsychiatry job of 4 years in

Customer Question

not happy with part time telepsychiatry job of 4 years in NJ; my contract (no benefits) has a 90 days clause to leave; I am looking to get out in 30 days which I understand is reasonable in NJ; my work is ER/crisis meaning I see patients once and am not responsible for follow-up; concern #1 is the possibility I get fired after giving notice; also I work in a physical ER in the state and have concern #2 about an injunction
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 3 months ago.

As we discussed in your previous question, the injunction is more theoretical than actual. Also more aligns itself with the non-compete issue rather than the Notice to Quit issue. Also as we discussed, under New Jersey law, although there is no general law prohibiting non-compete clauses they are disfavored especially in regard to psychotherapy.

Also as we discussed there is no practical way to obtain an injunction on a 90 day Notice issue. By the time the process was begun the time would be over.

Lastly, any injunction could not effect previously engaged work, only competing work going forward. So this is not a real concern.

As to they possible termination. New Jersey is an employment at will state. This means that you can be terminated for any reason or no reason at any time and without notice. So there is no point being concerned that you may be terminated. The company must verify your employment with them, and if they were to give a negative reference about you they would be open to liability for defamation. Because of the Defamation issue attorneys who represent employers strongly advise their clients against giving any references and limit responses to inquiries by only verifying employment.

I have been on both sides of the table on these issues. It is very difficult for your employer to effectively enforce this 90 day provision or take any punitive action against you in regard to it. Aside from ending the relationship first, there really is little they can do and if they were to end the relationship first that may be better for you as a pragmatic matter.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,