Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I was red to be the Corporate Director of Operations Hotel

Customer Question

I was hired to be the Corporate Director of Operations for a Hotel management company. I was with the company 6 weeks when I was abruptly told we were separating. My first week was wasted time and no on boarding from my direct report. Second week was a conference. Third through fifth weeks I was babysitting a hotel until I could hire a General Manager. I was just able to start managing the 9 hotels in my management portfolio (hotels of my responsibility) when I was told to we were separating. I was told I did nothing wrong that I was within my 90 days. I moved from Louisiana to California and was in the middle of a move when this happened. therefore no place to go. I had five kids in a hotel room when we were told to vacate the next morning. I took no relocation because I truly believed they wanted me to make a difference a change the culture that was totally reactive in the organization. I took a cut in pay because I saw a company in its infancy that needed strong hotel people to build the business. My direct report would not communicate with me. Did not on board me and when I tried to suggest anything it was met with defensiveness and an abrupt no. Do I even have a case due to the AT WILL laws in California? I am at a loss.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 3 months ago.

Hello there --

I am sorry to hear about this. Did you have any kind of written employment contract with them?