John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

My work is trying to demote me based off of my personality.

Customer Question

My work is trying to demote me based off of my personality. They said that I work hard and know the job better than everyone because I have been there longer than any of them. Now they are trying to demote me because they said I'm not bubbly enough is that legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

It really depends on the context of the statement. There is what is called gender stereotyping discrimination. For example a woman not dressing up with makeup etc. There is somewhat of an implication in our society that women are to be cheerful and accommodating or else they are considered mean or worse. On the other hand it is regulary ruled that on-time statements with limited context aren't actionable. Which would you say is your situation? What s the context of this...can you provide more background information?

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.