Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

I have been passed over differnt jobs town of Hanna. The

Customer Question

I have been passed over for three differnt jobs for the town of Hanna. The first job I applied for was for the Town Marshal position. At the time I had applied I was already POST Certified for lawenforvement. The town misteriously lost my first two applications and when I hand delivered my third application to the town clerk,she assured me that the board would get it. I never recieved an interview or even recieved a letter stating I didn't get the job. The second job I applied for was a job for town maintenance. This time I did recieve an interview but my wife was physical assaulted by the Director of Town Maintenance and he publicly humiliated her and slandored me by stating in public " That he would make sure I never get hired" The third job I applied for is the Parks and Rec Directors job. There were only six applications and out of those six I was the most qualified. At the Rec Board meeting when it was time to go over the applications and when my name was mentioned a Town Council member was at the Rec Board meeting and stated " He is a sexist aragaunt asshole and if you hire him or even think of hiring him he will have this place shut down in a month". It was at this time the president of the RecBoard joined in a began to verbaly bash me. Do I have a lawsiut?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Arguably you could have a lawsuit for not getting hired for the job in maintenance if you can prove that you were more qualified than the person who got the job or in some way raise the argument that the failure to hire you was due to the guy assaulting your wife and therefore it would be "against public policy".

It is almost a slander case but "sexist arrogant asshole" is really more of an opinion as opposed to a statement of fact and a slander case has to be based on a statement of fact as opposed to an opinion.

Those are the only issues I see in your facts above. Did you think you had a different cause of action or do you believe I missed something?