Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

57 year old electrical engineer project manager was

Customer Question

57 year old electrical engineer project manager was initially asked to sign a document that I was being let go. Based on the untruths in the document refused to sign. Just completed a 13 Mil Dollar project with nearly 3 years invested came on line 1 Mil under budget and 3 days sooner then scheduled. This industry that employs me is the Paper Industry.
Have not heard anymore about it since Monday the day that it was presented and when I refused to sign the document they presented to me.
Where do I go from here?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA.Ray here to help you today.

You need to file here today with EEOC claiming age discrimination.Then if they fire you it is retaliation and you file a second complaint.You would consider a lawyer to brings suit of the EEOC finds in your favor.Also this will help you with UI benefits if you are terminated with EEOC complaints pending.Hopefully you would get 26 weeks of benefits.I would try to get the EEOC on file asap here before any further action.They haven't gone away in this matter, pretty sure they will fire you soon.

I appreciate the chance to help you today and wish you the best here.

File complaint here

https://dol.georgia.gov/file-unemployment-insurance-claim

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Age discrimination involves treating someone (an applicant or employee) less favorably because of his or her age.

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) only forbids age discrimination against people who are age 40 or older. It does not protect workers under the age of 40, although some states do have laws that protect younger workers from age discrimination.

The law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

The ADEA protects individuals who are 40 years of age or older from employment discrimination based on age.The ADEA's protections apply to both employees and job applicants. Under the ADEA, it is unlawful to discriminate against a person because of his/her age with respect to any term, condition, or privilege of employment, including hiring, firing,promotion, layoff, compensation, benefits, job assignments, and training. The ADEA permits employers to favor older workers based on age even when doing so adversely affects a younger worker who is 40 or older.

It is also unlawful to retaliate against an individual for opposing employment practices that discriminate based on age or for filing an age discrimination charge, testifying, or participating in any way in an investigation, proceeding, orlitigation under the ADEA.

The ADEA applies to employers with 20 or more employees, including state and local governments.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Reference the law into your complaint here I gave you above.I wish you the best.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Lawyer referral to sue for wrongful termination..

Washington

King County Bar Association LRS
Seattle, WA

Phone:(###) ###-####br />Counties Served: King, Pierce

Meets ABA Standards for Lawyer Referral

Attorney Referral Service
Bremerton, WA

Phone:(###) ###-####br />Counties Served: Kitsap