Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

My sister was fired violations - three in one year. The last

Customer Question

My sister was fired for HIPAA violations - three in one year. The last one was when the doctor handed her medicine and told her to give it to the patient: she did, and told the patient to check the label and make sure it was right; the patient did, but returned the next day and said the label was wrong and the medicine was for someone else - a HIPAA violation for the nurse, my sister. I don't know what the other violations were, but they were similar - not deliberate, but accidental in the rush of a busy ER practice. My sister had a stellar 25-year career with awesome performance reviews each year, but when the hospital system changed owners and the HIPAA bar was placed so high everyone was in trouble, she chose to try to keep going and didn't make it. She is a superior, conscientious nurse - she wants to keep nursing, but so far is locked out of the field. How can she get back in? Work in another state? Go back to school and become a nurse practitioner? What can she do to return to nursing - her career and her life?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: SC
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't know what the other two HIPAA violations were - if I could find them out I could forward them. Also, they let her resign in lieu of termination - but they kept all of her accrued PTO, she lost all of that money.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 6 months ago.

Hello there --

-

I am sorry to hear about this. Is she having difficulty finding jobs because her former employer tells a prospective employer that her reason for leaving was the HIPPA violations they claim that she made?

-

MARY