Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I was recently out reasons. Can my company force me to file

Customer Question

I was recently out for health reasons. Can my company force me to file for FMLA leave?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Yes, an employer can force an employee to use FMLA leave. In fact, an employer is legally REQUIRED to designate qualifying leave as FMLA. This is because it is the FMLA that protects you from termination while you are away from work. If your leave was not designated as FMLA, your employer could simply terminate you. So, this requirement actually exists for your own protection.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.