hrpro37, Sr. Director, Human Resources
Experience:  10+ years of experience in human resources roles with a specialization in employment law

We are a small business and have an employee we value but he

Customer Question

We are a small business and have an employee we value but he has twice recently not shown up on Mondays after drinking too much on a Sunday. Mondays are our busiest work days. Can we require him to go to AA meetings in order to continue working with us?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: VA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: He has had 2 DUI's and is on restricted driving only to work and back. If he drinks he can't blow into the alcohol tester in his car
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  hrpro37 replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately, you can not require that an employee attend rehab and/or outside therapy such as AA. My best advice would be to treat this as an attendance issues and disregard the reason for the attendance issue. You can provide him a written warning stating that if he misses another Monday work day, then he will be subject to termination.

Feel free to ask any additional follow up questions and please don't forget to rate me for addressing your question (it does not cost anything additional to rate me)

Thank you,