Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert

If an employer has refused to pay me paychecks in a row have

Customer Question

If an employer has refused to pay me for 3 paychecks in a row have they effectively terminated me. We do have some disagreements in our contracts but it is my understanding that in Texas an employer can not withhold your paycheck for any reason.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I wouldn't say they have terminated you but they are definitely violating the Fair Labor Standards Act.

In Texas, the employer can withhold paychecks for a very few limited reasons, ex. you have given them written permission, but there are very few of them.

The TWC is usually pretty good about getting paychecks paid quickly.