Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

After I quit working insurance company that had been paying

Customer Question

after I quit working for an insurance company that had been paying for my errors and omissions insurance, (although at double the rate I was able to find later) I was contacted by a collection attorney for the entire amount they had paid since I hadn't earned enough commission to offset the premiums. Can they do that?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Was your agreement with them that you had to pay your E/O insurance from your commissions? Was that in some written contract with them?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Or possibly opt out and pay it myself directly. I might have the contract and the billing statements in electronic format if you need to review them. There may be certain stipulations regarding charges depending on the reasons for termination. Also, if I'm still licensed, could they not pay themselves out of residual commissions over time?

Thank you for your reply.

You have to review the contract you had with the employer itself to see what your terms and conditions of employment were. If your contract agreed to pay your insurance then you need to see what it says about the terms.