Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.

I am currently and have been employed by Monroe Township

Customer Question

I am currently and have been employed by Monroe Township Public Schools, Williamstown, NJ, since January of 2003.
In November of 2011 I applied for and was chosen as the candidate to replace a retiring employee. This was an upward move with a substantial salary increase. I had received other promotions during the previous years. I rose quickly through the ranks.
The President of our Board of Education was at that time living with a women that held a similar position. They are now married. His significant other was offended that it had taken her 15 years to achieve this status, but, it only took me 3 years. My appointment was then pulled by the Board President. A lateral movement was manipulated which resulted in reassigning a women who had also applied for the position. She was rated 8th out of 12 applicants. I had been rated 1st. The Superintendent often verbally referred to this woman as “Chester” because of her stature, this is well documented and witnessed. I was also questioned by the Superintendent as to if I had by any chance offended a very politically connected businessman in our district because I had at one time rebuffed his sexual advances. This gentleman holds very prestigious lofty affiliations in our township, he is the Co-Chairman of our MUA, oddly, 5 of our current Board members are now employees of the MUA, and he also holds the Insurance bid for the entire school district, 800 employees total… I did not have a sexual relationship with this man and I had thought I had diplomatically dispelled his advances and interest.
My husband attended the Board of Education meeting the evening of the motions’ vote. He introduced himself and asked the following question, “Are you appointing the best candidate?” His hope was that the Board would pause and do the right thing. The response given was, “We are appointing ONE of the best candidates?” The following morning I went to work which was in the central administration building where I had been for years and where the new assignment would have been as well. I was greeted by the Superintendent and told to pack my desk that I was being transferred. I was told my husband had embarrassed and angered the Board President. I remained suspended, with pay, for 6 weeks.
The following 5 years have been a cyclone of transfers, discipline and termination threats. I have involved my union and they have operated as best they can as laymen. The stress and grief lead me to suffer a heart attack in September of 2012. I am now again being harassed with termination threats for nonexistent reasons. Oddly and ironically, during my 13 year employment I have received the highest form of evaluations and accolades by direct supervisors. The Central Administration and Board President are obsessively seeking any action on my part in which to fabricate an infraction, culminating most recently with the devastating and libelous accusation of misappropriation of student trip funds. The Central Administrators are engaging in nonsensical investigations involving those that are seeking to move up and promote themselves. I am again feeling the physical, psychological and emotion torture. I can no longer “be the bigger person” and it is impossible for me to hold fast to the earnest desire I had of moving forward and putting the past behind. I am an outstanding employee that does not deserve this treatment. The hostile work environment created is palpable and overwhelming.
I need to seek powers of higher legal knowledge to assist me at this juncture. The discrimination encompasses age and sex. The retaliation tactics since my husband questioned those practices has spiraled out of moral, ethical, professional and legal bounds.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 3 months ago.

Reviewing your facts now.

As a general matter, you have the option of pursuing a complaint in state or federal court, eeoc complaint, and also complaint with the labor board. practically, age/sex discrimination claims are often best pursued by having local counsel reach out to HR and seek to work out a settlement - alluding and threatening as needed, the preceding agency and court options.

Kindly let me know if that is fast and clear, thank you.

Please rate me excellent, thank you.