Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I recently asked my Regional Director raise. She never

Customer Question

I recently asked my Regional Director for a raise. She never responded to my email but 5 days later my GM is giving me tons of extra work. Some of it isn't needed as frequently by my company.They asked me to sign off on the new "action plan" with a HR person as a witness.I signed for fear of losing my job or further harassment.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under FL law, there is no employee right to a raise. So, legally you asking for a raise is not a legally protected act. Employment in Florida and the US is deemed at will employment, unless there is a written contract to the contrary. Under at will employment, the employer can take pretty much any actions they choose against the employee in setting rules, workload, pay, promotion, demotion or termination and as long as it is not done based only on the employee's age/race/sex/disability/national origin.
So, if the employer is coming to an employee giving more work and has a action plan, the at will employee has no choice but to not only sign the plan but to comply with it, because under FL and US laws, the at will employee has so very few rights in employment and unless you have proof the only reason they are doing this to you is your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, you would not have any claim or protection against the employer.