Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I have been all0wed to work from home while I am undergoing

Customer Question

I have been all0wed to work from home while I am undergoing multiple test and MRI's due to fainting and seizures. I applied for short term disability through my employer and they called to talk me out of it. I pay for short term and long term disability insurance through my company benefits. I just had a brain MRI and one they have scheduled a neck MRI. I passed an EEG test so nothing was found about seizures. They have been able to tell from X-rays I have minimal spacing in the neck and possible stenosis causing the numbness in my left side. I had a seizure at work and had to be carried out by ambulance, also had seizure at Kaiser Permante and fell backwards causing another seizure which they kept me for observation over 8 hours. I do no illegal drugs but they put me on a pain medicine until MRI s are complete. Should I go and re-apply for short term disability as I am not qualified for FMLA as I have only worked at this company for 7 months. Just want to be protected until the medical issue is diagnosed with out losing my job and insurance
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are working from home and being paid, then SDI will not pay. If you are not able to work from home any longer and are not being paid, then you can reapply for SDI based on the new occurrence.
Applying for SDI does not really protect your job, since the employer could still terminate your employment even though you are out on SDI.