Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

I'm a veterinarian and I answer questions on just answer as

Customer Question

I'm a veterinarian and I answer questions on just answer as well. We were in need to hammer a relief veterinarian for a few days in July and August. Veterinarian we were in contact with gave us days that she was available and we said that we would like for her to work those days. On her first day she was 20 minutes late and then showed up Saw one client and proceeded to have a grand maul seizure in the exam room. She was unable to work her shift. Which cost us thousands of dollars and upset clients. During this seizure we had no idea who she was and in her best interest went through her purse to try to get family information or someone to contact. At this time we found large amounts of marijuana in her purse. She presented us with the contract thIs first day but had decided to change the contract and upped her fees on us and said that she was going to give us another amended contract for us to sign. The second day she came she worked a full shift and still did not present us with a contract. The shift she worked we started noticing extremely odd behavior argumentative type behavior and disruption of clinic policy . The 3rd shift she came in her second shift worked we still have not been submitted with the contract. The working day was a complete nightmare is she offended many staff members argued with hospital manager became a real loud and Abnoxious and a total disruption of our clinic. At this time we decided that we can't have her in our clinic anymore. And we terminated any future dates with her as this definately was not a good fit. A Contract stating that we would still pay her for any future dates that were booked if we canceled was never signed. As a matter fact I have never even seen the contract.
Husband states that we owe her for future dates that we canceled on the tune of $2000. So that he will be filing a small claims court suit. My question is is a verbal contract binding that says we would book for those dates however a verbal contract was never discussed about paying anything if we canceled early or if we can even cancel early.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Unless she had a written agreement that specified that the she was employed for personal services for a specified period of time then she has no legitimate claim. Oregon is an "Employment at Will" state. Meaning that an employee (or independent contractor) may be fire for any reason or no reason. See: Simpson v. Western Graphics, 293 Or 96, 99, 643 P2d 1276 (1982); Nees v. Hocks, 272 Or 210, 216, 536 P2d 512 (1975), holding that , in the absence of a contract or statute to the contrary, Oregon employers may discharge an employee at any time and for any reason, or for no reason at all.

This threatened suit is what attorneys refer to as a Nuisance Suit. They are betting that you will be willing to settle for a lesser amount rather than go through the trouble of defending.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,