Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

My wife had several surgeries, and was in hospital 57 days

Customer Question

my wife had several surgeries , and was in hospital 57 days our neghbor works in operating room , his wife stoped by on day had some wine so i said where is mike she said he already saw my wife all of her is something wrong here
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Well, something is wrong here, but it may just be that your neighbor's wife has a horrible sense of humor. Everything here depends on how she became aware that your wife had surgeries and whether or not she is just making a very stupid joke, or if she is repeating something her husband said to her.

That can be very difficult to discern. If it is the first (just a horrible joke), there really isn't anything illegal about what she said. It's just something very stupid and insensitive to say.

If it is the second though, there could be a HIPAA violation that you could report to the hospital and allow them to handle the matter. You might consider reporting it, and then allow the hospital to do an investigation and find out what happened here, if anything.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.