Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

My former employer has some of my personal property and has

Customer Question

My former employer has some of my personal property and has not returned it to me, what can I do?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Here's the story, I worked at a used book store and had a large poster that they hung in the store with my permission. I told them when they terminated me I wanted it back and now 3 months later they're still dragging they're feet about it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

You can threaten to contact the police on the ground that the picture has been stolen from you because they are not giving it back to you. You can also file a lawsuit in small claims court for the value of the poster. Either of these options will drag the book store into legal trouble that they have every reason to avoid. The threat of either (or both) should be enough to provoke a quick response. If it is not, then you have these options at your disposal.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.