Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

My boss consistently undermines me in front of our

Customer Question

My boss consistently undermines me in front of our employees, refuses to support me in any decisions regarding my employees and has told an employee of mine that I am Bipolar, the cause of other employees leaving and that she is notifying corporate to get me fired. Is this a hostile work environment or harassment and what can I do about it?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear about the way you are being treated.

A "hostile work environment" is only illegal if the hostility relates directly to a legally protected trait, such as race, religion or gender. For instance, yelling racial slurs at an employee would give rise to a claim for hostile work environment. However, general poor or disrespectful treatment is not illegal. It's bad management, but it just doesn't violate any law.

If the harassment you are experiencing does not relate to a legally protected trait, you regretfully do not have much recourse. You can attempt to talk to corporate or work out your differences on a personal level with your boss. Beyond this, though, your only other option is to leave for alternative employment where you are treated with the respect you deserve.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.