Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I was called a in an official on campus meeting (I am a

Customer Question

I was called a prostitute in an official on campus meeting (I am a professor) by a male colleague. Not only did he say it, but he typed it up in a projected document that was on display on the wall. I am the only female in an all male department. My boss was in the room and he said nothing. I went to my chair and she told me to let it go. The person admitted it and said he was "being playful." He has also stated that due to my heritage I come from that "dirty little island." The Dean said that it was partially my fault because I did not confront him directly. The university has a strict retaliatory policy (retaliatory or perceived retaliation) and this person posted his response and left it up for 12 days in a departmental shared server - every time he updated it - everyone received the notice. It took the Dean three days to tell him to remove it. I view this as retaliatory. The dean said it was an accident. The dean has closed the complaint and said he should apologize. He is aggressive, and misogynistic. Another female was so offended by his actions in another meeting she went to the title iv director independently. The union supports my position but says I need outside council. Thoughts?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what are my rights on the case posted previously.

As I stated, "what are my rights" is too general to answer. In order to provide information that is helpful I need you to ask specific questions.