Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

I need advice on how to inform owner of wrong work practices

Customer Question

i need advice on how to inform owner of wrong work practices and EPA violation s and work safty and hostile work enviroment. boss wanted toget rid of me and said he laid me off than said later i quit to his boss dont want to sound threating or blackmailing in letter but i should receive my unemployment i was told i was no longer needed after confronting boss with concerns and safty issues and EPA violationss to owenr so there handled or i will make call. i have to report regardless its my opglation just want owner to know truth and let him handle it first. i did tell boss i would look for other work if things were not fixed and hostile enviroment stoped. boss said best wat to handle it would be to lay me off he thought it would make it go away. he than said i had to go to dr for stress on last thursday and i said i needed no medical attention than he said to go to dr i had the be drug tested i said i dont need to see dr. he said fine turn in key and raido and file for unemployment do to lack of work an go out seppret ways. dont know what to say to edd laid off like he said and want to inform owner of violations but dont want to come aqccross threating. weather they agree to unemployment i will still have to report situations at work place. I will pay for consoltation not looking for free be just need help
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there were also wage and insurence agrements that he did not flow through with. he knew i knew what he didnt want me to know and wanted me gone. thought giving me unemployment would make me just go away
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thought this was advice web site.... no available attorney avalable only have days for edd information. so i dont have to pay for this because you gave me no answer right i will just cancle my order and subscription
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

The law that applies to your situation is California Labor Code section 1102.5 subsections (a) through (i). See this link. It appear to me that you have a claim against the employer for what is known as retaliatory discharge.

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF ANSWERING YOUR QUESTION...PLEASE BE PATIENT...

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Also, if you had a wage contract that he did not honor, then you may also be able to sue him for breach of contract. The key here is finding you the RIGHT attorney to take your case. Most employment law attorneys that represent employees take such cases on a 33% to 45% contingency fee basis if they feel you have a winning case. If you are going to hire one on an hourly basis, then I would limit that to about 10 hours of work to have the lawyer send a demand letter and then try to negotiate a severance for you. They usually charge $200 to $300 per hour and you should not have a problem find one that will do that.

More to come...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my appolgies very stressed was set up by boss right after buying house want to do right thing dont want to come across as blackmailing just want my unemployment, will have to report anway to EPA and OSHA. should of reported eairler but was in feer of losing job.
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

See this law which it appears to me that your boss violated by firing you:

(b) An employer, or any person acting on behalf of the employer, shall not retaliate against an employee for disclosing information, or because the employer believes that the employee disclosed or may disclose information, to a government or law enforcement agency, to a person with authority over the employee or another employee who has the authority to investigate, discover, or correct the violation or noncompliance, or for providing information to, or testifying before, any public body conducting an investigation, hearing, or inquiry, if the employee has reasonable cause to believe that the information discloses a violation of state or federal statute, or a violation of or noncompliance with a local, state, or federal rule or regulation, regardless of whether disclosing the information is part of the employee's job duties.

This link may help you find the right lawyer.