Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience

January of this year i was red by fairy large corporation,

Customer Question

January of this year i was hired by fairy large corporation, in March I had gotten very sick (borderline pneumonia) and missed 5 days, all was good. I had missed a coupe of other days due to food poisoning. My complaint is that each absence is counted as an occurrence unless they are continuous (Like i missed in March) and then it is just one occurrence (this is fine); however they also look at total hours missed, so even if you are at or below the allowed occurrence (days missed) you can still be written up because you have gone over the allowed hours. I there anything I can do about this? I like my job but I fill like we are being punished for having legit reasons for being out.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I agree with these terms
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

ANSWER: For the most part, an employer is free to even fire an at-will employee who misses too much time from work since attendance is a basic job requirement for most positions. However, if your absences are protected by the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, workers' compensation laws, then your employer can't fire you because of them.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you wanted a professional and honest answer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did, thank you!
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Your welcome.