Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I was terminated from my job and even when asked in writing

Customer Question

I was terminated from my job and even when asked in writing why I was fired, the Ohio college I work for in Cincinnati refuses to respond. This is the second time this has happened in the last three years after 22 years with no problem. At this point, the college will not speak directly to myself. I am 54 years old, and was a labor leader writing labor contract for over a decade. The union wins my job back, and I'm made to sign a "last chance" agreement before I an have my job back, and then fired me again without due process. I am a single mother, and my family has been crushed financially. Hired lawyers and they took a lot of my money, and basically did nothing but talk me into filing bankruptcy. Now, today, I learned the college is refusing to discuss me when prospective employers that call so I'm can't find a job. In mediation with the college and union last week, the college offered to "give me a more favorable reference to any perspective employers that called for verification. I really need help and I've done everything right, except for being a labor leader in Ohio. I appreciate any heroics you could send my way.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your only recourse here would be to work with your Union in making sure that the University complies with any settlement agreement regarding employment references. Yes, by not saying anything to your prospective employers, an inference could be drawn that you were not a good employee and that those employers should think very carefully before hiring you.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.