Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

I do not have legal issues at the moment..but just

Customer Question

I do not have legal issues at the moment..but just questions. My contract expired but I was not properly advised about it and nobody informed me that my contract was not being renewed. Weeks before I was terminated, I just noticed my normal work was being delegated to the new hires and I was asked to help and train. None of my Managers and lead told me what was going on. I finally learned about it on the weekend from the recruiter what was going on. I felt embarrassed and humiliated by this. I wonder if I have a case against them for treating me with disrespect, hostility and humiliation.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I worked in San Dimas California.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No..I don't know if I have a case since the contract legally expired. The only thing that bothers me is the way they handled it and I don't know what my rights are.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I did everything they ask me to do. I finished my work ahead of time. My attendance was almost perfect. My documentation was almost perfect. I find no reason why they would treat me like that after all the work I did for them. There was an employee before me that was treated the same way. They claim it was Human Resources who told them not to tell me that I was being let go. I can only think of my age. They might say I am old and slow...but so far they just say expired contract and it is not being renewed...end of story.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It does sound like you were treated very poorly. However, it is not illegal to treat an employee poorly, with disrespect, or in a humiliating manner. Your employer did not have a legal obligation to inform you that your contract was not being renewed, and there is nothing illegal about them having you train your replacements. Thus, I am very sorry to say that all you can do in a circumstance like this is move on. You should, however, be eligible for unemployment benefits.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.