Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

Employee wants to become securities licensed. Employer pays

Customer Question

Employee wants to become securities licensed. Employer pays training materials, as well a gives employee time off for training and for test day. Employee fails tests.
Does the employer need to give employee additional paid time off to take more training and more test dates, so should employee be required to use PTO.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There would be no requirement that the employer offer more time off work, and there would be nothing illegal or improper about requiring the use of PTO.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did get your answer. I wanted to make sure that we are not going to be held liable in any way for requiring the employee to use their PTO Employee insists the company will benefit when he passes his test, so we should give him the time off paid without using his PTO. But we did that already, and he did not pass. He is a highly paid employee, who has enough PTO left to cover this time off to prepare for a test he did not pass.

Thank you.

As noted, it is not illegal or improper to require the use of PTO. This is because employers are not legally required to offer any PTO at all. Since they are not required to offer PTO, they can compel its usage under any circumstances they determine to be appropriate. An employee does not have a right to use their PTO at times of their choosing.

I hope this clarifies things. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.