Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

I was terminated from my former employer the same day I had

Customer Question

Good afternoon, I was terminated from my former employer the same day I had intended on giving notice. They did beat me to it. At my termination meeting with the company HR Rep and my Manager that I would receive the quarterly bonus payable up to that point. This was on Monday March 28th. On May 13th I was notified by text that I would be receiving $4,014 to be payed out on May 27th.
On May 27th I was informed by text from my former manager there was a bit of bad news. Since my departure was not voluntary I would not be eligible for the quarterly bonus.
My question is, since HR and my manager should have been aware of company policy and with being advised this bonus would still be awarded me, do I have grounds to pursue payment of this bonus?
Thank you,
Mike Wilder
Alto, MI
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing to add.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 3 months ago.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for the information and your question. Unfortunately, the misstatements of your manager and HR do not make the employer liable to pay you for a bonus that you weren't otherwise entitled to receive. In other words, it isn't a contract or enforceable promise. That said, there might be an issue with whether or not you are entitled to the bonus based on written policies of the Company or their practices.

What I mean by that if in any written information on bonus entitlements there is no notice that involuntary separation would terminate that right, or the policy says termination for "cause" is reason to withhold and there was no "cause" in your case, then you might still be entitled to payment.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again Mike,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 13th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.