Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I applied federal job through an IT consulting company back

Customer Question

Hi, I applied for a federal job through an IT consulting company back a few years ago. The company prepared my resume and i was to go for a background check i filled out eqip form for OPM. i gave my finger scan however i decided not to apply for this job. I wanted to ask is there a way i can ask OPM to remove this employment data as i decided not to do the job also i will apply for a federal job in the future and now i am concerned that OPM might have my previous employment record. what can i do? Thanks
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The IT consulting company prepared a false resume and i went to submit a background check and filled out eqip form for OPM howvever now my concern is in the future i want to apply for another federal job and since background check are submitted to OPM i wanted to ask that the previous IT job that i applied for through an IT consulting company can OPM remove that employment history as i decided not to go through with that job and i am concerend in the future if i want to apply for another federal job i cant bcz i applied through an it consulting company with a false resume they had made for me. please let me know if i will face any problem when applying for federal job in the future?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 6 months ago.

If you never went forward with the employment then it should be a moot issue. You would have to contact them about removing your data but it is highly unlikely as these are government records that are archived as part of the US government data retention policies.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
will that affect my future chances of getting employment because i want to apply for a federal job and im concerned i wont get hired based on the previous employment records.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i never went forward with that job but since the government keeps records i am concerned bcz i was basically scammed by an IT company. please let me know if i apply to another job after background check is conducted will i get rejected?

If there is a reasonable explanation for what happened, then they should not have an issue. However, prior employment record could come out in an interview or an an appication so that may just be unavoidable.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok but how can I resolve this issue please? Because I am going to apply for another federal job in the future and before I wasn't aware of the ramifications of giving false information. I was being misled by the recruiting company who said it won't be a problem and I can give my finger scan and fill out eQIP form and then I will get a job. Please tell me what is best to do to resolve this because I am concerned OPM has my record and they will deny me employment in the future because of false employment history that they have. What is the best way to deal with this?

My suggestion would be to contact the OPM site directly and ask them to remove any information that you have previously provided that you can upload up-to-date information.