RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I received a hostile email from my boss, which I read and

Customer Question

I received a hostile email from my boss, which I read and clearly understood. It would appear that the email was retracted shortly after it was sent. Do I have a legal right to request a copy of that email?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While Massachusetts law grants employees of businesses with 20 or ,more people the right to review (with proper notice) things in their personnel file, such as an annual review, there is no state or federal law that mandates an employee has a right to see emails sent to them, unfortunately.; You can certainly make a request to see it, but an employer does not have to grant such request.

Such an email might be recoverable through a discovery request or subpoena, but of course both of those things would first require that you were party to a lawsuit.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you!