Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I am an RN and my boss has decided that all RN'S must attend

Customer Question

Hi I am an RN and my boss has decided that all RN'S must attend a "6 hour wound care" class-that is SPECIFIC to Desert Valley Hospital....DEEMED MANDATORY FOR ALL RN'S but my boss has stated we will NOT be getting paid for the class. This is not something like ACLS OR BCLS THAT I NEED for other hospitals. This is specifically something Desert Valley Hosp has come up with. They are coming up with ALOT!!! of these specific to the hospital-mandatory classes now-and are saying only the full time RN'S get paid to attend-but the classes are MANDATORY for all RN'S working at Desert Valley Hospital. Please advise with your fee amount ...requested....Thankyou!!! Deb Duran R.N.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. The charge for the question is the amount you agreed you when you posted the question. I am not privy to the billing side of things because I am just an attorney who answers questions here. If you would like more clarification regarding charges before we proceed, please let me know and I will put you in touch with customer service. Otherwise, I will be pleased to address your question here....

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
NO PROBLEM WITH THE 47$ CHARGE-I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF NOT PAYING US FOR HOSPITAL SPECIFIC MANDATORY CLASSES IS LEGAL.....THANKYOU! DEB

Thank you.

If an employee is paid a salary, they typically would not be entitled to additional compensation for time spent in training. Their flat salary would be deemed compensation for all work performed. However, if the employee is paid hourly, the employer must paid for the time spent in training.

If there is anything at all I can clarify, please let me know.