Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

United Airlines has issued ( loaned)all of it's flight

Customer Question

United Airlines has issued ( loaned)all of it's flight attendants an Apple iphone.If the phone needs to be replaced, there is a $300.00 charge, unless a flight attendant purchases insurance from United, for $30.00. The purchase is voluntary. Can United charge for this insurance and aren't United assets already covered by it's own insurance? Surely a pilot would not be required to pay for the plane he or she crashes.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

United Airlines has issued ( loaned)all of it's flight attendants an Apple iphone.If the phone needs to be replaced, there is a $300.00 charge, unless a flight attendant purchases insurance from United, for $30.00. The purchase is voluntary. Can United charge for this insurance

Response 1: Yes, it can.

and aren't United assets already covered by it's own insurance?

Response 2: Probably not.

Surely a pilot would not be required to pay for the plane he or she crashes.

Response 3: But the phones are not planes.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.