KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

DOCTOR WORKED WITH A PRIVATE PRACTICE WEEKS AS INDEPENDENT

Customer Question

i AM A DOCTOR WORKED WITH A PRIVATE PRACTICE FOR FEW WEEKS AS INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR , I NEVER RECEIVED MY PAY AND DESPITE OF REQUESTING AND CONTACTING THEM THEY STARTED HARASSING ME , I HAVE ALL THE DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR THIS CLAIM
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.
Good morning. To make a claim you must first give them a written demand for payment, which it sounds like you have already done. If they still refuse to pay then you have two options, you can file a claim in civil court, you have the proof of working to support your claim, and depending on the amount of wages owed, can utilize small claims court. You also can file a claim with your states Department of Labor for unpaid wages, where they will investigate the claim of unpaid wages and then force them to pay you, even if you are an independent contractor.I hope this helps with your question.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I called department of labor they told me that they dont handle independent contractor requests do you have any direct phone numbers for them
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.

What state are you located? Did you call the state of federal Labor Department?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Georgia
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.

Georgia doesn’t have its own state enforcement process for wage claims like most states. If your claim is for under $15,000 then you can file in magistrate court. In Georgia Magistrate court is called small claims court, is an informal court that handles money claims of less than $15,000. The forms to file are available at http://www.georgiamagistratecouncil.com/. You would have to file the statement of claim in the county you reside and then they will give you a court date, where you will appear with your evidence to support your claim for the unpaid money for your work.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you represent such case in Georgia or recommend someone in Georgia who can send my employer notice so that if they release my payment i dont have to go to the court or if needed can represent me in the court
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.

No. At just answer we do not represent in court, its only advise. Unfortunately, you would need to find a local attorney who practices in your county in Georgia.