Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

My former employer is taking money from me that went missing

Customer Question

My former employer is taking money from me for money that went missing in October of 2015 in the sum of over 3900. No police report was filed and I have several former employees as witnesses that I did not take the money.
I no longer work for that company but am employed part time at another company where the owner of my former company is a partner. Is he legally able to deduct my pay when I did not take the money and am no longer employed with that company?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

In Tennessee, your wages may not be deducted without authorization from you. This is state law so you can file a wage complaint with the Department of Labor in your state to try and have the matter resolved.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.