Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.

My boss told all of the employees in a meeting last week

Customer Question

My boss told all of the employees in a meeting last week that he was closing and going out of business by the end of July. I have been informed today, that this is not the case. He's just letting a lot of people go (the higher paid employees) and he'll still be able to use a few employees.
Is there anything that those of us who will be losing our jobs can do? Can our boss lie to our faces, and not have to answer to anyone?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It is quite unfortunate, but an employer is not required by law to be truthful about the reason why they are letting employees go. This is so because employment is by default "at will" in Missouri, and as such can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even whether there is a reason at all. Since employers don't need a good reason or a true reason to terminate the employment relationship, no law requires employers to state their honest reason.

Therefore, the only remedy in this circumstance is to file for unemployment benefits once you are let go. Beyond this, there is no protection from a boss that falsely states their business is closing as the reason for why they are terminating the employment.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.