Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation

My phone # is ************,I work at Denny's corporation in

Customer Question

My name is Michonne ******.My phone # ***** ************,I work at Denny's corporation in ****************.I went today and I was informed as of today,that I am being suspended for a week,with no pay,because a brother and sister that works in the same restaurant, that I do,do not like the way that I talk to them,I have not been written up,and or reprimanded,ever.There is nothing in my file to suggest,I be suspended for a week with no pay.PLEASE,contact me ASAP,concerning this matter.My phone # **************** is, and my email is,
******************.Thank you so much.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

In your state, and nearly every other state in the country, employment is "at will." That means that you can legally be terminated or suspended at any time, with or without warnings, write-ups or even a cause.

The only way around that is if you have an employment contract that expressly outlines the circumstances under which you can be suspended, and then you'd be able to sue for breach of contract if they didn't abide by it. However, in the absence of a contract, the employer can legally suspend, without warning, based on the facts you've outlined here.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.