Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My husband has been working company since 1999 and past 2

Customer Question

My husband has been working for a company since 1999 and for the past 2 years on and off he has not been getting a paycheck. He filed with the Dept. of Labor in Oct 2015. We have been checking with them periodically on the status, however we were told the other day that it is going to be at least another 6 months till this will go for hearing. On July 1, 2016 was my husband's last day. The owner owes him 50,000 in pack pay. He now is closing the company. To put fuel in the fire the last day of my husband's employment he found out that the owners house had a house fire and it was a total loss. We just don't know what to do
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: We have not
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I think I pretty much explained it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Employment Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your husband does not need to wait for the Department of Labor, your husband can file a civil lawsuit in civil court for failure to pay wages and is actually entitled to sue for double the amount due (triple if he proves it was malicious non-payment) plus attorney's fees. So if he is due $50,000, he can sue for $100,000 plus attorney's fees to seek his damages through the civil court and not the DOL.